Coopers' hat factory

Previous | Home | Next

Coopers' hat factory which stood in High Street North. It was originally Burr's brewery, owned by Thomas Burr who lived in the Manor House nearby (seen on the right of the picture). The house and brewery were put up for sale in 1843 and were purchased by John and George Cooper who converted the brewery into what was the second-largest hat factory in the town. John and his wife Mary moved into the Manor House. The factory closed between 1878 and 1884 and Cubes nightclub (formerly a cinema and a bingo hall) now stands on the site. This engraving first appeared in 1859 in the Dunstaplelogia by Charles Lamborn and was a based on a photograph taken by "photographic artist" James Tibbett Jnr.