Congregational Chapel

Previous | Home | Next

The Congregational Chapel in Edward Street was opened for worship in January 1854. Congregationalists in the area bought the land in 1852 and erected a temporary wooden building known as "The Tabernacle", the first minister there being the Rev Henry Perfect. The foundation stone of the more permanent building was laid in 1853. It later became the United Reformed Church.