Chew's House

Previous | Home | Next

Chew's House in High Street South, Dunstable. The building, now used as church offices, was originally a charity school. The additional school buildings on the right later became the town library before being converted into a theatre by Dunstable Repertory Company. William Chew, who died in 1712, intended to provide a school for 40 poor boys of Dunstable but died before doing so. He left money to his two surviving sisters, Jane Cart and Frances Ashton, and to Thomas Aynscombe, the eldest son of another sister. They saw that his wishes were carried out and the school was built in 1715.